Skip to main content

An unsolicited visitor!

  A fanfiction based on the story of "Town of Cats" by Haruki Murakami

If you see this, I am dead.

Tengo stared at the envelope in his hand!
"So...He is gone! Forever! And ever! and..." For a jiffy, Tengo's entire world seems to go blank!
Which doesn't add up! He had invariably believed throughout his whole existence, that both of them were absolute nobody to each other!
But now that he learned that the last shred of that man's existence is perished from this earth, he probably felt...void?!

qehgd.jpg

"Otosan!" Tengo felt his inside crumbled screaming this one word which bewildered him by the prominence of that emotion!
Although they had spent a certain period together, Tengo regarded this man as no more than a stranger! As ludicrous as it sounds, a stranger that he cared enough to "not like".

Tengo wonders, if that was the case, then what is this abrupt sprout of agitation he is suffering!
"Perhaps..." Tengo conceded to himself "even if we were nobody to each other, I at least felt that he was there, somewhere!"

He went inside the house and hopped on the couch, half-laid. He avoids drinking except for specific occasions. Nevertheless, he is yearning for one right now.
He holds the envelope with one hand in front of his eyes while supporting his neck with the other hand. Gazing at it as if a perplexed kid attempting to guess the gift by observing the wrapped gift box from outside.
Then he put it on the table beside him. He feels quite oblivious of whether to open the envelope or not.
Eventually, Tengo tore the envelope.

A photograph along with a letter came out of it!
Tengo recognized the man. He could assume the woman in his arm is his mother. A newlywed happy couple.
His mother is stunning, way beyond his ingenuity. The first thing that thumped Tengo is how on earth a man like him had won a beauty like her mother over! And the following thing occurred to him is that this is the very first time in his entire life that Tengo saw the long acquainted mans' smile or to be precise the cheerful face.

Which was nearly unimaginable for him whenever he had strived to envision it in his childhood days!
Although the whole attention of Tengo ought to flow towards his mother, he found myself gazing at him.
"He looks... genuinely complacent!" Tengo articulated with a subtle smile.
He thus looked at the letter, feeling kind of a unusual uncertainty as if he should not read it. But curiosity won over as always and he unfolded the letter with trembling hands.

Beloved Tengo,
Even though out of a whim, I decided to write you; I find myself skeptical of what to write exactly!
After you left today, I felt an intense impulse to communicate with you more. Communicate as a father with his son. Which perhaps I never did appropriately, although I thought about it countless times when we were residing together.

I reminisced, that in our past days- each day you grow up towards adulthood, we had grown distant from each other each time.
I tell you, my son, I had felt it in my bones.
You are a remarkable child, Tengo.
One moment I felt proud of you, the next moment I lost myself in anguish and jealousy; as you can comprehend the reason behind it.! I was an awfully contradicted man. No shame to acknowledge.
Reckon, I wasn't even a very ideal person as an elder whom you could have looked up to.
Regardless, I wanted to say____

Tengo woke up with a slight jerk.
"Wait what!" mumbled Tengo! "when did I fall asleep!"
He rose from the half-laid position and sat on the couch. His eyes followed the front and halted upon the envelope on the table. Tengo scratched his head with one hand and loosened his tie.
"Was it a dream!" He sounded both confused and a bit disappointed maybe!

His hand is trembling as Tengo is reaching out for the envelope!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The portrait of a lady in fire and cold

  If you say my life is blend, it will not be presumed entirely wrong; however, not quite right either. If I must say, I have only started to live life when I was 25 years old, graduated, a fresh intern. Before that it's all hazy and blurry, not in a sense that I do not remember anything, but because I remember almost every pros of a bumping-stranger, but nowhere amidst that, I could find myself, as you are in your lucid dreams, a observer only. So if I am referring to a life or anything relevant to life, it's always from the age of 25. Hence, these 5 years of mine have been the time I lived. If I am to say, I lived as I pleased, that will not be incorrect. Of course, I had to be burdened with the responsibilities, criticism, denial and in terms of acquisition of an elderly child who belonged to any middle-class family; regardless, I was capable of living a life I have desired since my sense of life itself. With all these sacrifices, compromises I have chose to make with my own

চৈত্রে সংক্রান্তি!

শর্টকার্ট বাজার আর চালু রান্নার চিন্তা নিয়ে বাজারে গেলেও, নজরকাড়া সবুজের কচি পুঁইশাকের টসটসে আঁটিটা দেখে পা যেন ওখানেই আটকে গেলো। প্রথম দেখায় প্রেমে পড়ার মতো। নতুন বাসায় আসার পর, কাঁচা বাজারে এখনো পা রাখা হয়নি। অবশেষে সারাদিন ঘুমিয়ে পেটে যখন ছুঁচোর কের্তন শুরু হলো, উঠে চোখেমুখে পানি দিয়ে, ঝিমাতে ঝিমাতে মানিব্যাগ হাতে নিয়ে গেঞ্জিটা গায়ে চাপিয়ে নীচে নামলাম। মাসের শুরু হলেও, মানিব্যাগের অবস্থা শোচনীয়। ভাবতে লাগলাম কি কেনা যায়, যাতে করে এই মাসে ৩/৪ বার রান্না করা যাবে এই এক বাজারেই। ভাবলাম মুরগী/গরুর মাংস নিয়ে নিব, ল্যাঠা চুকে যাবে। কিন্তু খুব সব্জিটব্জি খেতে ইচ্ছে করলো, সারা সপ্তাহ বিফ/চিকেন খেয়ে মুখে অরুচি চলে আসছে রিতীমতো। সারা মাসে ৩/৪ বার রহস্য হচ্ছে প্রতি সপ্তাহে আমি একদিন রাঁধি, দুইদিন খাই। আর সাধারণত দিনে একবেলা খাই। এখন এই একবেলা খাই শুনে আপনার কল্পিত "ডায়েট"এর ধারণাকে প্রশ্রয় দেবেননা। এটা আসলে রান্নার আলসেমির কারণে। সপ্তাহের ৫ দিন আপিসে লাঞ্চ দেয়, সাথে দেয় টুকটাক নাস্তা, আর যত মন চায় তত চা/কফি। রুটিন এমন হয়েছে যে, খাই কেবল যতক্ষন কাজের মাঝে থাকি। বাসায় ফিরে ঘুম, ঘুম থেক

অপ্সৃশ্যা!

 দু'হাত পকেটে পুরে যখন রাস্তা পার হচ্ছো, গাড়ির স্বচ্ছ কাঁচের ভেতর দিয়ে, তোমার বুড়িয়ে যাওয়া চুলগুলো, ঠিক আলাদা করতে পারছিলাম! কপট অভিমানে আনমনে বললাম, "কতদিন নিজের যত্ন নাওনা!" কথা দিয়েছিলে, এক মুঠো জোনাকি ধরে ঘর আলো করে দেবে! তারপর কয়েকযুগ পেরিয়ে গেলো, তবুও তোমার জোনাকি ধরা হলোনা! এই মুহূর্তে চশমার কাঁচ মুছতে গিয়ে, ভেবে দেখলাম, সে অপেক্ষায় আছি আমি আজো! তোমার মনে পড়ে? সিঁদুরের কৌটো হাতে এসে বলেছিলাম, "আমার বেনারসি, চুড়ি-ফিতা কিচ্ছু চাইনা, সিঁদুর পরাবে আর বুকের মাঝে রাখবে। মাঝেমাঝে বাস্তবতার কাছে হেরে গেলে, অল্প করে নাহয় আক্ষেপও করবে।" তুমি হেসে বলেছিলে, " বোকা মেয়ে! শুধু ভালবাসা সস্তা, ওতে সংসার চলে না। যে তোমাকে রানী করে রাখতে পারবেনা, তোমাকে ছোঁবার অধিকার তার হবেনা। তুমি বরং সুখী হও! " আমি তোমার মুখপানে চেয়ে থেকে, কি যেনো খুঁজছিলাম দীর্ঘক্ষণ! চোখের পাতাটা কি কেঁপেছিল? গালের পেশীগুলো মেকি হাসির আড়ালে কি হঠাৎ আড়ষ্ট হয়েছিলো? ট্রাফিকের আড়ালে তুমি অদৃশ্য হয়ে গেলে, কিন্তু আমি তোমাকে ঠিক দেখেছি, আর সে মুহূর্তেই বুঝেছি, তুমি ভালো নেই। আমাকে ছাড়া তুমি ভালো থাক